Grandmother and nurse of Hiawatha.
Nokomis was taken over by the Navy 1 July 1917 and re-named Kwasind (SP-1233) (q.v.) 22 November 1917.
(SP609: dp. 1,265; l. 243; b. 3110; dr. 1210, a. 16 k.; cpl. 191; a. 4 3, 2 mg.)
The first Nokomis, a yacht built as Nokomis II by Pusey & Jones, Wilmington, Del. in 1914, was purchased by the a yacht owned by Horace E. Dodge. Navy from Horace E. Dodge, Detroit, Mich. 1 June 1917; re-named Nokomis 19 November 1917; and commissioned at Philadelphia 3 December 1917.
Fitted out at Philadelphia, Nokomis sailed for Bermuda 19 December with a French submarine chaser in tow. She departed Bermuda for Brest 8 January 1918, stopping en route at the Azores and Leixoes, Portugal. Operating with the U.S. Patrol Squadron for the remainder of the war, she helped protect American troop transports approaching the coast of France.
Terminating this duty in 1919, Nokomis returned to the United States in August. Reclassified PY6 in 1920, the yacht decommissioned at New York 25 February 1921. Outfitted as a tender for the Naval Governor of Santo Domingo in July 1921, she did not assume this duty, but conducted surveys in Mexican and Caribbean waters under direction of the Hydrographic Office.
Returning to Norfolk 24 September 1934, Nokomis decommissioned 15 February 1938 and was struck from the Navy Register 25 May 1938.