Named for a Chippepwa Indian Chief of the latter part of the 18th century, celebrated as a leader and a hunter.
(YN–54: dp. 80; l. 74’; b. 20’; dr. 8’; s. 12 k.)
Noka (YN–54), was built as a motor tug in 1941 by Levingston Shipbuilding Corp., Orange, Tex.; completed 1 February 1941; and purchased by the Navy. Before delivery she was converted to a net tender at the Levingston yard and assigned identification number YN–54.
Upon completion of builder’s trials and shakedown 15 February, she steamed via Port Arthur, Tex., New Orleans, Key West, and Miami for duty in Norfolk, Va., arriving 4 July. She reclassified to YNT 8 April.
Through the end of hostilities Noka performed tug and net tending duties in the Norfolk harbor area. Placed out of service 5 August 1946 at Norfolk, she was berthed in the James River two weeks later. She was struck from the Naval Register 28 August and sold.