Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nightingale

 

Any of several small European thrushes noted for sweet nocturnal song.

 

III

 

(AMc–18: dp. 197; l. 83’2”1 b. 19’6”; dr. 9’ 5”; s. 11 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 mg.)

 

The third Nightingale (AMc–18) was built by Al Larson Boat Building in San Pedro, Calif. in 1934 as Majestic, a wooden-hulled, diesel-powered purse seiner. She was acquired by the Navy from Klemente Zar at Western Boat Building Tacoma, Wash, 5 November 1940; and commissioned 31 January 1941.

 

Nightingale operated as a coastal minesweeper in the Puget Sound area. In May she entered the yard at Western Boat Building Co., Tacoma for alteration to a patrol craft and was reclassified YP–166. The name Nightingale was cancelled for YP–166 and reassigned to AMc–149 on 22 April 1942. YP–166 served as a training craft in Puget Sound until 14 October 1944, when she was struck from the Navy List and returned to her owner.