Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Niagara

 

Fort Niagara was captured from the British by American forces 28 November 1812.

 

V

 

(SP–263: dp. 33; l. 50’; b. 16’; dr. 2’9”; s. 10.4 k.; a. 1 1–pdr., 1 Mg.)

 

The fifth Niagara (SP–263), a yacht built in 1915 by E. A. Fonda of Miami, Fla., was purchased by the Navy 5 July 1917 from General H. M. Creel, also of Miami. She served as a harbor patrol craft under the 7th Naval District until transferred to the Lighthouse Service 29 May 1919.

 

Niagara decommissioned 21 April 1922 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was sold.