Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Niagara

 

Fort Niagara was captured from the British by American forces 28 November 1812.

 

IV

 

(SP–246: t. 46; l. 80’6”; b. 14’4”; dr. 4’6”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 11; a. 1 3–pdr., 1 1–pdr., 2 mg.)

 

The fourth Niagara (SP–246), a motor boat, was built by Matthews Boat Co., Port Clinton, Ohio, in 1913, acquired by the Navy on lease from Lawrence D. Buhl, Detroit, Mich., 9 June 1917; and commissioned the same day.

 

She served as a motor patrol boat in the 9th Naval District until returned to her owner 20 March 1919.