Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nezinscot

 

A river in western Maine, emptying into the Androscoggin river.

 

(ScTug: dp. 156; l. 85’; b. 19 ‘; dr. 8’6”; s. 10 k.; cpl. 15; a. 1 6 pdr.: 1 Colt)

 

Nezinscot, a converted steel tug was built as D.C. Ivans in 1897 by Neafie and Levy, Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by the Navy from Moran and Co. 25 March 1898; and commissioned at Key West, Fla., 2 April 1898, Boatswain J.J. Holden in command.

 

Serving with the North Atlantic Fleet during the SpanishAmerican War, operating out of Key West, Nezinscot remained in that port following the end of hostilities until the middle of 1900 when she sailed first to Norfolk and then early in 1901 to the Navy Yard, Portsmouth, N.H. For the next eight and one half years, the tug operated out of Portsmouth, towing numerous ships, from the battleship Missouri (BB–11) to the smallest auxiliary barge, and making brief voyages to New York Navy Yard, ports in Maine, and most frequently to Boston. While steaming to Boston, Nezinscot capsized and sank off Cape Ann, Mass. 11 August 1909.