Largest city of Louisiana, New Orleans was the scene of Andrew Jackson’s great victory at the close of the War of 1812, in which small naval forces under Commodore David Patterson played a large role; and of a key naval action in the Civil War, in which Admiral David Farragut opened the southern Mississippi to Union forces.
(SL: t. 2,805; l. 204’ (keel); b. 56’; a. 63 long 32–pdrs., 24 32–pdrs.)
New Orleans, a ship-of-the-line, was laid down in January 1815 by Henry Eckford and Adam and Noah Brown at Sacketts Harbor, N.Y. Her building was halted upon conelusion of peace with Great Britain, and she remained on the stocks, housed over, until sold 24 September 1883 to H. Wilkinson, Jr., of Syracuse, N.Y.
New Orleans, a floating battery, was fitted out at New Orleans, La., by the Confederates in 1861. See DANFS II, 552.
(LPH–11: dp. 18,300; 1. 592’; b. 84’; dr. 26’; s. 20 k.; cpl. 528; a. 8 3”; cl. Iwo Jima)
The third New Orleans was laid down 1 March 1966 at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Philadelphia, Pa.; launched 3 February 1968 sponsored by Mrs. Arthur A. de la Houssaye and commissioned 16 November 1968, Captain G. M. Even in command.