Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nesutan

 

A Massachusetts Indian chief who assisted John Eliot in 1650 to translate the Bible into the Natic language.

 

(YT–338: dp. 237; l. 100’10”; b. 25’; dr. 9’7”; s. 13 k.)

 

Nesutan (YT–338) was laid down as M.C. hull 445 in 1942 at Calumet Shipyard and Drydock Co., Chicago, III.; acquired by the Navy 4 November 1942; and placed in service 10 November 1942.

 

Departing the Great Lakes via the St. Lawrence River, Nesutan arrived Boston Navy Yard late the next month for conversion. She steamed forth 8 February 1943 enroute to duty in the 7th Naval District. After 2˝ years of harbor duties and towing operations along the Florida coast, the tug, now designated YTB–338, transited the Panama Canal for temporary assignment with the 13th Naval District.

 

A brief retirement to the 19th Pacific Reserve Fleet, begun in March 1946, ended 25 July 1947 with Nesutan’s reactivation and restoral to duty with the 13th Naval District. On 13 June 1950 this craft was transferred to the Army at Seattle, Wash., and struck from the List of Service Craft 26 September 1950.