Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Negwagon

 

An Ottawa chieftain in Michigan during the war of 1812 noted for his dedication to the American cause.

 

(YT–188: dp. 237; l. 100’; b. 28’; dr. 9’7”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 17; cl. Woban)

 

Negwagon (YT–188) was laid down 30 December 1941 by Pacific Coast Engine Co., Alameda, Calif.; launched without ceremony 30 May 1942 and placed in service 31 March 1943.

 

Built to assist with harbor berthing and other collateral duties Negwagon completed the required sea trials and departed for Pearl Harbor. She remained for 2½ years subject to the directives of the Commandant of the 14th Naval District. With the diminishing volume of shipping following the conclusion of World War II this tug, now reclassified a YTB, was released and joined the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet in March 1947.

 

Reactivated during the Lebanon crisis of 1958 Negwagon soon steamed westward again. Four years of duty at Pearl Harbor and a new designation (YTM) preceded assignment to a more advanced base in the Pacific. In 1970 this vessel continues in service as a unit of the Pacific Fleet.

 

Though reactivated during the Lebanon crisis of 1958 Negwagon soon steamed westward again. Four years of duty at Pearl Harbor and a new designation (YTM) preceeded assignment to a more advanced base in the Pacific. In 1969 this vessel continues in service as a unit of the Pacific Fleet.