An Indian name.
(YTB–261: dp. 394; l. 110’; b. 27’; dr. 11’4”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; cl. Cahto.)
Nawona (YTB–261) was laid down in April 1944 by J. Al. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington; named 15 May; launched one month later; and assigned to the 12th Naval District.
Through the end of hostilities she served as part of Service Force, Pacific Fleet, in the San Francisco Bay area. Her primary function was to assist in berthing and docking. She also provided towing services and water-front fire protection, and served as an inner harbor patrol craft.
Nawona remained active in the 12th Naval District until 1963, when she was scheduled for replacement. Declared excess to the needs of the Navy, she was struck from the Naval Register and sold in September 1964.