An Indian name.
(YNT–23: dp. 62; l. 62’; b. 16’6”; dr. 7’6”; s. 10 k.)
Nawat (YNT–23) was built in 1940 by Port Houston Iron Works, Port Houston, Texas. She was purchased by the Navy in April 1941, designated YN–55, transferred to the New York Navy Yard, and assigned to the 3rd Naval District.
She operated in the New York Harbor area through the end of World War II, providing towing and yard services in support of the active naval forces and thus contributing to the total war effort.
Declared excess to the needs of the Navy when hostilities ended, she was slated for disposal in September 1945. Nawat was struck from the Naval Register in February 1947 and transferred to the Maritime Administration for final disposition through surplus sale.