A misspelling, common until the 1870’s, of Nauset, an inlet on the east coast of Cape Cod. The misspelling was perpetuated with the naming of later ships for the first Nausett.
(IX–190: dp. 4, 496; 1. 453’; b. 56’)
The third Nausett (IX–190), a tanker completed in April, 1918, by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Alameda, California, served the Atlantic Refining Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as W. M. Irish until acquired in early October 1944 by WSA for Navy use as a mobile floating storage unit. Renamed Nausett 29 October 1944, she was accepted by the Navy on a bare boat charter and commissioned at Pearl Harbor, 8 January 1945. On further inspection, necessary alterations were deemed too expensive to warrant the expenditure. In June, Nausett was placed in reduced commission pending her return to WSA on the West Coast. On 23 September 1945, she arrived at San Francisco, where she decommissioned and was delivered to WSA, 12 October 1945. Twelve days later she was struck from the Navy Register.