An Indian word meaning “one tree” or “fork of the river.”
(YTM–753: dp. 295; 1. 107’; b. 27’; dr. 12’; s. 12k.; cpl. 10)
The second Naugatuck (YTM–753), a medium harbor tug, was taken over from the Army in 1963. Built as LT–1964 by the Higgins Co., New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1953, she served the Army until acquired by the Navy in 1962, on a loan basis. The Navy assumed permanent possession the next year, and effective 21 January 1963 the tug was named and reclassified Naugatuck (YTM–753).
Assigned duties in the 3rd Naval District, she continues to provide services in the New York Harbor area into 1970.