A town in Hartford County, Connecticut, the name of which is thought to be a corruption of air Indian word “upauk” meaning flooded over or over-flowing.
(AN–84: dp. 545; l. 168’6”; b. 33’10”; dr. 10’9”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 46; a. 1 3”; cl. Cohoes)
The second Naubuc (AN–84) was laid down 31 December 1943 as (YN–109) by the Marine Iron arid Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minnesota; launched 15 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Harold E. Ford; and commissioned 15 March 1945, Lt. (jg.) W. M. Bauer in command.
Following a delayed shakedown off the East Coast, Naubuc departed Boston 24 April 1945, enroute to California. Arriving at San Pedro, 7 June, she completed intensive net training drills and headed west, anchoring in Pearl Harbor 17 July. By 1 August she was at Eniwetok, whence she continued on to the Philippines, performing her specialized services of laying and tending protective nets around ships arid across harbor entrances at Leyte until after the cessation of hostilities. Encoute to CONUS in October, she stopped at Kwajalein and Pearl Harbor, arriving at San Francisco 1 December.
On completion of an abbreviated tour in the Canal Zone, Naubus reported at San Diego 2 January 1946, for duty in the 11th Naval District. Ordered to Seattle for inactivation the following month, she decommissioned and entered the 19th Fleet, at Astoria, 6 September 1946. She remained in the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, until struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 September 1962. She was then transferred to the custody of the Maritime Administration and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
Reaquired five years later, Naubuc was reinstated to the Naval Vessel Register 1 June 1967 arid scheduled to be converted to a Salvage Craft Tender. In March 1968 she was reclassified (ARST–4) and assigned to the 13th Naval District for conversion.