Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nashville

 

The capital of Tennessee.

 

Nashville, an unfinished Confederate ironclad ram built at Montgomery, Ala., surrendered to Union forces at Nanna Hubba, Ala. 10 May 1865. Subsequently purchased by the Navy from a prize court, the ship had no service before she was sold at public auction at New Orleans 22 November 1867. See “Nashville” “Confederate Forces Afloat” DANFS 11, 552.

 

III

 

(LPD–13: dp. 16,900; l. 570’;b. 84’; dr. 23’; s. 20 k.; cpl. 490, 90 Flag; a. 8 3”; cl. Cleveland)

 

The third Nashville was laid down 14 March 1966 by the Lockheed SB & Const. Co., Seattle, Washington; launched 7 October 1967; sponsored by Mrs. Roy L. Johnson, and commissioned 14 February 1970 Capt. Frank R. Fahland in command.