Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nantasket

 

A five-mile-long peninsula in Plymouth Cty., Mass., extending from Cohasset Township into Massachusetts Bay.

 

(ScStr: dp. 1,129; l. 216’; b. 31’; dr. 12’; cpl. 114; s. 10.5 k.; a. 6 9–pdrs.)

 

Nantasket, a screw steamer, was laid down at Boston Navy Yard in 1864; launched 15 August 1867; sponsored by Miss Emma Hartt; and commissioned 22 October 1869, Lt. Comdr. F. M. Bunce in command.

 

Assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron, the ship was stationed at Samana Bay, Santo Domingo, for the next two years. While based at this island, she made numerous short voyages carrying messages to American officials on various islands in the Caribbean. At times, she also carried officials as passengers. She continued this duty until 30 April 1872, when she was relieved by the steamer Nipsic. Departing Samana Bay 5 June, she sailed for Key West arriving 8 June. She was decommissioned at Portsmouth, N.H., Navy Yard and remained in ordinary until struck from the Naval Vessel Register 22 July 1875. She was sold in 1883.