An Indian sent, in 1605, by Powhatan to live with English settlers in Tidewater, Virginia and gain knowledge of their customs and language.
(YN–46: dp. 158(lt.); l. 94’5”; b. 25’; dr. 8’6”)
Namontack was built in 1938 as the Thomas E. Moran by the Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich. for the Moran Towing and Transportation Co., New York, N.Y. She was purchased by the Navy 28 November 1940; renamed and classified as Namontack (YN–46); converted to a net tender at the New York Navy Yard; and placed in service 18 March 1941.
Namontack departed New York 26 March 1941 and, on arrival at Norfolk 28 March, reported for duty to the Commandant 5th Naval District. Based at Little Creek for the duration of the war, she performed tug and net and boom tending services there until 1946, except for the period May to July 1942, when she served on Inshore Patrol duty. During this period, she was reclassified YNT–14 on 1 May 1942, and was again reclassified to YTB–738 on 2 August 1945. She was placed out of service 21 August 1946 and was struck from the Naval Register 30 December 1946. She was sold 30 April 1947.