A Navajo word meaning “it is damp.”
(YTB–535: dp. 237; l. 100’; b. 25’; dr. 11’6”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; cl. Hisada)
Nahasho (YTB–535) was laid down by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y., 14 November 1944; launched 14 February 1945: and delivered to the Navy and placed in service 30 July 1945.
Assigned to the 1st Fleet, Nahasho operated in Hawaiian waters until placed out of service, in reserve, at Pearl Harbor in November 1947. Reactivated in June 1949, she was transferred to the east coast to serve the 5th Naval District, headquartered at Norfolk. Redesignated YTM–535 in February 1962, Nahasho has continued, into 1970, to render towing, fire fighting and other services of her type to naval vessels and commands in the Tide Water region of Virginia.