Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

N–3

 

(SS–55: dp. 348 (surf.), 414 (subm.); l. 147’3”; b. 15’9”; dr. 12’6”; s. 13 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 25; a. 4 18” tt.; cl. N–1)

 

N–3 (SS–55) was laid down 31 July 1915 by the Seattle Construction and Drydock Co.; launched 21 February 1917; sponsored by Miss Bertha Coontz; and commissioned 26 September 1917, Lt. William R. Munroe in command.

 

Following sea trails in Puget Sound, N–3, with sister ships N–1 and N–2, departed the Navy Yard 21 November 1917. The three submarines arrived at New London 7 February 1918. From here N–3 patrolled along the New England coast and off Long Island. On 23 July, a British steamer mistook N–3 as a German U-Boat and fired on her at a range of only 50 yards. Although hit by a 6” shell, the submarine suffered only slight damage and after repairs at sea, was able to proceed to New York Navy Yard under her own power. Following permanent repairs, N–3 returned to the Submarine School, New London for patrol and training duty through 1920.

 

Departing New London 1 June 1921, N–3 sailed for Toledo, Ohio. One of the first submarines to navigate the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes, she put in at Halifax, Quebec, Montreal, and Port Dalhousie before arriving Toledo 25 June. She remained there for 11 days, open to the public for inspection. Departing 6 July, she returned to New London, arriving 20 July, and from there cruised along the East Coast from Halifax to Philadelphia, conducting training cruises. Departing New London, she sailed for the Philadelphia Navy Yard, where she decommissioned 30 April 1926. She was struck from the Navy Vessel Register 18 December 1930 and was scrapped in mid-1931.