A town on the east bank of the Illinois River in Morgan County, III.
The name Meredosia was assigned to a 2,400‑ton, wooden‑hulled screw sloop‑of‑war in 1864, and construction began in 1865. Following the end of the Civil War construction of the hull was suspended and her name was struck from the Navy list in 1867.
(IX‑193: dp. 16,000; l. 454'; b. 56'; dr. 29'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 100; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.)
Meredosia (IX‑193) was built by Union Construction Co., Oakland, Calif., in 1921 and prior to World War II served the merchant sealanes on tanker runs as Liebre. Operated by Socony‑Vacuum Oil Co., Inc., of New York, she transported liquid cargoes in the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, and along the east coast. Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, she helped meet the increased demands for fuel and diesel oil. As she steamed off the coast of North Carolina 2 April 1942 while en route from New York to Beaumont, Tex., she came under torpedo and gunfire attack by U‑123, lost seven crewmen, and sustained considerable damage. After completing repairs at Baltimore, she resumed tanker service 19 July; and during more than the next 2 years, runs sent her from Halifax and St. Johnís to the British West Indies, and the Canal Zone, as well as to major east and gulf coast ports.
Departing New York 5 January 1945, she steamed via the Panama Canal to Hawaii where she arrived Pearl Harbor 7 February 1945. She was acquired by the Navy from WSA on bareboat charter basis 16 February; renamed Meredosia (IX‑193); and commissioned the same day, Lt. Thomas E. Doey in command.
Meredosia sailed 17 April for the Marshalls. Assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet, she carried 24,000 barrels of special fuel oil to Eniwetok where she arrived 1 May and began duty as station fueling ship. During the next 6 months there she supplied 271 ships with 989,827 barrels of fuel oil. On 29 June she was struck by the freighter Abner Doubleday and sustained damages and flooding in her engineering spaces. Following prompt repairs, however, she resumed station duty early in July.
After the conclusion of the war in the Pacific, Meredosia discharged all liquid cargo, took on ballast, and sailed for the United States 29 October. Steaming via the Panama Canal, she was ordered to report to Mobile 5 December for disposal. She decommissioned at Mobile 2 February 1946 and was returned to WSA the same day. Her name was struck from the Navy list 25 February, and she was sold for scrap by the Maritime Commission to the H. H. Buncher Co., 8 February 1947.