A Roman god represented with winged feet who served as messenger for the other gods; a silver‑white metal which is liquid at ordinary temperatures; the planet nearest to the Sun.
The third Mercury, a revenue cutter, was built at Ocracoke, N.C., after the contract for her construction was closed 6 April 1807. After service in the Carolina Sounds, primarily at Ocracoke and New Berne, the schooner became the Navy’s third Mercury when the Revenue Cutter Service was placed under Navy orders in June 1807.
During the War of 1812, Mercury continued to operate in the North Carolina Sounds. On 11 July 1813 a British flotilla under Rear Admiral Cockburn arrived off Ocracoke Bar and entered the Sounds, planning to attack New Berne. Mercury embarked the U.S. customs agent, Thomas Singleton, with money and bonds from the Customs House and raced away to warn New Berne of the impending attack. Robbed of surprise, Cockburn abandoned the project.
After hostilities ended, Mercury was returned to the Treasury Department and served the Revenue Cutter Service until 1820.