Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mercedes

 

A former Spanish name retained.

 

(YT‑108: l. 53'6"; b. 9'2"; dr. 3'10")

 

Mercedes (YT‑108), a wooden yard tug, was built by the Spanish in the Philippines; captured by the Navy at Cavite in May 1898; turned over to customs authorities shortly after the Spanish‑American War; and returned to the Navy 15 November 1902.

 

For the next 40 years, Mercedes was assigned to the 16th Naval District, operating in and around the naval stations at Cavite and Olongapo in the Philippines, at times serving as yard ferry, but most often serving ships of the Asiatic Fleet as a tugboat. Mercedes was sunk by friendly forces to prevent her capture by the Japanese during their attack on Cavite 2 January 1942.