Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Menewa

 

The second chief of the Creek Indian confederacy known as Great Warrior.

 

(YN‑34: t. 132; l. 91'; b. 23'; dr. 11')

 

Menewa (YN‑34) was built by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1939; purchased by the Navy under the name Consultor from the builder 16 August 1940; renamed Menewa 23 August 1940; and placed in service at New York Navy Yard 9 September 1940.

 

On 18 October Menewa was ordered to the 5th Naval District for temporary duty out of Norfolk, Va., until the 30th when she departed Hampton Roads, Va., with Sapelo (AO‑11) for assignment in the 15th Naval District. She arrived off the Canal Zone 13 November to begin 7 years of support service.

 

On 8 April 1942 she was redesignated YNT‑2. In January 1943 Menewa capsized and sank off Cristobal, on the Atlantic side. She was refloated and continued to operate as a tug and net‑tender off Balboa into 1947.

 

On 14 March 1947 Menewa was struck from the Navy list and sold to the Peruvian Government Ministry of Marine, Lima, Peru, 24 September.