An Indian name.
YTB‑254: dp. 415; 1. 110'; b. 27'; dr. 11'4"; s. 12 k.; cl. Chaska)
Menatonon was laid down as YT‑254 by Win. F. Stone & Co., Oakland, Calif., 1 November 1943; redesignated YTB‑254, 15 May 1944; launched 16 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mary E. London; and placed in service 24 August 1944.
Allocated to the 11th Naval District, Menatonon steamed south to San Diego soon after being placed in service. Operating in the San Diego area, she fulfilled her mission of providing assistance to other naval vessels in berthing, unberthing, docking, and undocking first at the Naval station and then at the Naval repair base. Among her other tasks were the provision of towing facilities for vessels not under power, the provision of waterfront fire protection and the carrying out of inner harbor patrol craft duties. In August, 1946, the tug was transferred to the Reserve Fleet. Remaining in service, she provided berthing and docking assistance to ships and craft being inactivated. Reassigned to active, in service status in May, 1947, she resumed her former duties in the 11th Naval District, remaining there until placed out of service and struck from the Naval Register 1 June 1960.