(AK‑131: (11). 14,550; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 213; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Crater; T.EC2‑S‑C1)
Melucta (AK‑131) was laid down as Thomas A. McGinley under Maritime Commission contract by St. Johns River Shipbuilding Corp., Jacksonville, Fla., 21 January 1944; launched 20 March 1944;sponsored by Mrs. Thomas A. McGinley; acquired as Melucta by the Navy from WSA under bareboat charter 31 March 1944;converted from a freighter by Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla.; and commissioned 22 July 1944.
Following shakedown off Norfolk, Ala., Melucta, was assigned to NTS 17 August for cargo‑carrying duties along the east coast into the fall. By 10 November she was en route to the Marshalls, towing Cinnabar (IX‑163) to Pearl Harbor before continuing on to Ebon.
The cargo ship operated in the South Pacific for the next year. Melucta steamed to San Francisco in May 1945 for repairs and reloading, departing the first week of June. In mid‑October she got underway for the East Coast via the Canal Zone, arriving Norfolk 28 November.
Melucta decommissioned there 13 December and was delivered to WSA 5 days later. Renamed Thomas A. McGinley, she entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet in James River, Va., where she remained into 1969.