Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Megara

 

In Greek mythology, the daughter of Creon and wife of Hercules.

 

(ARVA‑6: dp. 1,753 (lt.); l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 245; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. Fabius)

 

Megara (ARVA‑6), originally LST‑1095, was named and redesignated 14 December 1944; laid down by American Bridge Co., Ambridge, Pa., 22 January 1945; launched 25 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Frederic A. Celler; placed in reduced commission 19 June 1945 for ferrying to New Orleans, La.; and commissioned at Algiers, La., 27 June 1945, Lt. Comdr. M. T. Dalby in command.

 

After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, Megara, loaded aircraft repair materials at Galveston, Tex., and departed 30 July. Steaming via the Panama Canal and San Diego, Calif., she reached Pearl Harbor 16 September. She departed 26 September for the east coast, arrived Norfolk, Va., 23 October, then arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 3 November. Following inactivation overhauls, she decommissioned 3 June 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

 

Megara recommissioned at Green Cove Springs 5 January 1951, Lt. Comdr. R. J. Devito in command. After shakedown along the Florida coast, she arrived Norfolk 16 March, operated there for 6 months, and 18 September sailed for duty in the Mediterranean. Between 3 October and 15 March 1952 she made aircraft repairs for the 6th Fleet, then returned to Norfolk 3 April to resume east coast operations.

 

With Aircraft Repair Division 2, Megara made a second Mediterranean deployment from 4 August to 7 March 1953 and operated primarily at Cannes, France. On 17 August she departed on her third Mediterranean tour. Arriving Naples, Italy, 11 September, she served there for the next 18 months repairing aircraft frames, hydraulic systems, and electrical components. Completing her duties 23 March 1955, she returned to Norfolk 21 April.

 

Megara reported to commander, Atlantic Reserve Fleet 28 June and began deactivation. Reaching Green Cove Springs 10 October, she decommissioned there 16 January 1956 and returned to reserve. At present she is berthed in Orange, Tex.