A small gull or tern of the numerous long‑winged, webfooted aquatic birds of the family Laridac.
(PCS‑1464: dp. 245 (lt.); l. 136'0"; b. 23'4"; dr. 8'7" s. 14.1 k.; a. 1 3", 1 40mm.; cl. PCS‑1376)
The first Medrick (PCS‑1464) was laid down 22 May 1943 by Astoria Marine Construction Co., Astoria, Oreg.; launched 11 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Evelyn Thompson; and commissioned as PCS‑1464 at Seattle, Wash., 8 January 1944.
PCS‑1464 operated as a training vessel out of San Francisco from 23 January through 1944. Assigned to Minecraft, Pacific Fleet, in November, the submarine chaser departed San Francisco 13 December, arriving Pearl Harbor, her home base, the 29th. On 10 January 1945 PCS‑1464 was reclassified AMc‑203 and named Medrick. She performed minesweeping operations out of Pearl Harbor until early 1946 when she departed for the west coast, arriving San Diego, Calif., 23 May.
Medrick was decommissioned 9 July 1946; struck from the Navy list 28 August 1946; and delivered to the Maritime Commission 16 December 1947 for disposal.
The name Medrick, was assigned to AM‑369 on 11 April 1944, but the construction on the minesweeper by Puget Sound Bridge & Dredging Co., Seattle, Wash., was canceled 6 June 1944.