Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Medina

 

Towns In Ohio and New York.

 

(PC‑1209: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp., 2 rkt.; cl. PC‑461)

 

PC‑1209 was laid down 18 August 1943 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Co., Morris Heights, N.Y.; launched 7 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George E. Roosevelt; and commissioned 1 May 1944, Lt. Russell L. Harris in command.

 

En route to the shakedown area off the Florida coast 14 May 1944, PC‑1209 had to maneuver sharply to escape a sudden torpedo attack. Her training was further marked by her rescue of an aviator 5 June after his TBF Avenger crashed. After completing her shakedown 20 June, PC‑1209 was assigned to the eastern sea frontier, home ported at Staten Island, N.Y. During 1944 she completed two convoy missions to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Key West, as well as carrying out local patrols.

 

On 15 January 1945 the patrol craft and a companion Coast Guard cutter joined the recently inaugurated patrol to prevent rocket firing submarines from attacking the east coast. After her last convoy escort mission, to Key West 25 April to 8 May, PC‑1209 had air‑sea rescue duties off Bermuda.

 

In July 1946, PC‑1209 began 3 years training naval reservists out of Stamford, Conn. Placed out of commission in reserve in January 1950, she berthed at Boston, Mass. She was renamed Medina (PC‑1209) 15 February 1956, and purchased for scrap by Hughes Bros., Inc., New York, N.Y., 9 October 1959.