Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Media

 

A star in Kaus Mer Constellation; from the feminine form of Latin Medius, meaning “mid”.

 

(AK‑83: dp. 5,202 (f.); l. 269'10"; b. 42'6"; dr. 20'9"; s. 10.25 k.; cl. Enceladus; T. N3‑M‑A1)

 

Contracted to be built as Oliver R. Mumford under Maritime Commission contract 4 September 1941, Media (AK‑83) was acquired by the Navy 1 January 1943 before being laid down by Penn‑Jersey Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J., 28 January 1943; launched 29 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ernest G. Bornheimer; and completed 17 November 1943.

 

That same day Media was delivered by the War Department to the Army; she was struck from the Navy list the 24th. Renamed Glenn Gerald Griswold and converted by Bethlehem‑Fairfield Shipyard, Inc., Baltimore, Md., by June 1944, she operated as an engineer port repair ship until her transfer to the Maritime Commission for merchant service following World War II.