A small city in Mecosta County in central Michigan; both city and county are derived from an Indian name.
(YTB‑392: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Sassaba)
Originally contracted to be built as YT‑392 on 7 April 1941, Mecosta (YTB‑392) was laid down by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y., 13 September 1944; launched 28 October 1944: and placed in service 20 January 1945.
Mecosta was assigned to Service Squadron 1, Service Force, Atlantic Fleet, for a year of towing and salvage duties from arrival off the European coast 1 March. In March 1946 she transferred to the Naval Operating Base at Bermuda for support service as a large harbor tug for the next 9 years. She was redesignated YTM‑392 on 1 February 1962. Mecosta began operations with the Atlantic Fleet, based from Norfolk, Va., in March 1965, continuing her service to the fleet into 1969.