Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Meadowlark

 

Meadowlark is a specie of North American songbirds.

 

(MSC‑196: dp. 290; l. 144'; b. 28'; dr. 9'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 39; a. 2 20mm.; cl. Bluebird)

 

Meadowlark (MSC‑196) was laid down 18 May 1953 by Broward Marine Inc., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; launched 29 August 1954; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas E. Sheridan; and commissioned 14 May 1955. Lt. J. P. Cromwell in command.

 

Meadowlark, a post‑Korea coastal minesweeper, conducted shakedown training out of Charleston, S.C. This remained her home port into fiscal 1969, except for 1-year period commencing February 1956 when assigned to the Naval Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Va. Since then she has conducted operations from Nova Scotia to the Canal Zone and in January 1967 visited Curaçao. Netherlands West Indies. With Mine Squadron 42 she twice participated in joint exercises with the Canadian Navy, the first time off Nova Scotia in July 1958 and again in June 1963 along the Florida coast.

 

An eager competitor in fleet exercises and battle problems, MSC‑196 is recognized for her operational readiness. Since 1962 she has won five‑consecutive Battle Efficiency “E” awards and accumulated an equal number of awards for excellence in mine counter measures.