Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Meade

 

Richard Worsam Meade, born in New York City 9 October 1837, and Robert Lemy Meade, born at Washington, D.C., 26 December 1841, compiled distinguished military careers during the 19th century. They were nephews of Gen. George Gordon Meade who Commanded the Army of the Potomac during the Battle of Gettysburg.

 

Richard Worsam Meade was appointed midshipman 2 October 1850, and prior to the Civil War served in the Mediterranean, West Indian, Pacific, and African Squadrons. He served under Admiral Porter during the Civil War, Commanded Marb1ehead, and took part in action against Confederate batteries along the Stono River, S.C. He later held important shore positions including duty at the Naval Academy. Promoted to rear admiral 7 September 1894, he retired from the Navy in 1895 and died at Washington, D.C., 4 May 1897.

 

Robert Lemy Meade was commissioned second lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps 14 June 1862. He commanded a battalion of marines during the suppression of the New York City draft riots in July 1863. He took part in the daring boat attack against Fort Sumter 8 September and was later brevetted for gallant and meritorious service. During the Spanish‑American War he served as fleet marine officer in New York and participated in the Battle of Santiago. Promoted to colonel 3 March 1899, he served in China during the Boxer Rebellion and participated in the Battle of Tientsin. For distinguished conduct and public service, he was appointed brigadier general, by brevet, 13 July 1900. He retired 29 June 1906 and died at Lexington, Mass., 11 February 1910.

 

I

 

(DD‑274: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8 dr. 9'4 s. 35 k.; cpl. 120: a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" tt.: 6. Clemson)

 

The first Meade (DD‑274) was laid down by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass., 23 September 1918; launched 24 May 1919; sponsored by Miss Annie Paulding Meade; and commissioned at Boston, Mass., 8 September 1919, Lt. Comdr. Benjamin F. Tilley, Jr., in command.

 

After shakedown along the east coast, Meade was assigned to duty with the Pacific Fleet. During more than the next 2 years she operated out of west coast ports including San Diego and San Francisco while participating in fleet and squadron maneuvers. After duty with several destroyer divisions, she decommissioned at San Diego 25 May 1922 and was placed in reserve.

 

Meade recommissioned at San Diego 18 December 1969, Lt. Comdr. C. A. Printup in command. After returning to the east coast in 1940, she served with ships of DesRon 9 of the U.S. Fleet. In accordance with provisions of the Destroyer Transfer Agreement of September 1940, Meade was designated one of the 50‑overage destroyers to be transferred to the United Kingdom. She decommissioned and was turned over to the British 26 November 1940. Renamed H.M.S. Ramsey (G‑60) she served the Royal Navy in the North Atlantic and later performed valuable duty as an aircraft training ship. She completed her service 30 June 1945 and was scrapped in July 1947 at Bo’ness, England.