The chief of a Sioux village on Big Stone Lake, Minn., 1836.
(YT‑181: dp. 237; 1. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; cl. Woban)
Mazapeta (YT‑181) was laid down by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla., 7 August 1942; launched 8 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Howard Fortson; and placed in service 12 August 1943.
Originally assigned to the 3d Naval District, Mazapeta was transferred in 1944 to the 12th Naval District, headquartered at San Francisco. Except for the period May 1947 to September 1950, when she was in reserve out of service at Mare Island, she has performed miscellaneous tugging services for that district into 1969. Twice during this period she was reclassified: as YTB‑181, 15 May 1944; as YTM‑181, February 1962.