A city in Kentucky.
(PC‑1196: dp. 450; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k. cpl. 65; a. 1 3"; cl. PC‑461)
PC‑1196 was laid down 29 August 1942 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.J.; launched 24 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. S. M. Parslow, Jr.; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 7 April 1943, Lt John A. Williamson in command.
Assigned to the Caribbean Sea Frontier, PC‑1196 departed New York 24 April 1943 for the Submarine Chaser Training Center, Miami, Fla., arriving 3 days later. Following 2 weeks of training she sailed 10 May for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. She returned to Miami briefly for repairs from 14 to 25 May, then departed “Gitmo” on the first of 22 patrol cruises from Cuba to Trinidad and Aruba and back, averaging almost one full patrol every 20 days. The small PC operated on patrol and convoy duty in the Caribbean through 1945, putting into Kingston, Jamaica, and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, periodically for repairs.
PC‑1196 entered the navy yard at San Juan, P.R., in June 1945 for an extensive overhaul. Shortly thereafter she sailed to Charleston and decommissioned in July 1946; but her service was not finished, and she served for over 3 more years as a Naval Reserve training ship out of that port. Finally, in December 1949, she was placed in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Norfolk. Named Mayfield on 15 February 1956, she was struck from the Naval Register 1 April 1959, and sold to Walsh Construction Co., New York.