A Winnebago chief of sagacious repute.
(YT‑182: dp. 237; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'7"; s. 12 k.; cl. Woban.)
Mawkaw (YT‑182) was laid down 17 December 1941 by the Pacific Coast Engineering Co., Oakland, Calif.; launched 2 May 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Mamie Losi Bentley; and accepted by the Navy and placed in service 6 March 1943.
Mawkaw, a medium‑size harbor tug, was assigned to the 12th Naval District, headquartered at San Francisco. Reclassified as YTB‑182, 15 May 1944, she performed seemingly humble, but extremely necessary, tug duties for that district until March 1946. At that time she was placed out of service and entered the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet. She remained in reserve until June 1957, when she was placed in service a second time and assigned to advanced bases in the Pacific. Reclassified as YTM‑182, February 1962, she has continued to provide miscellaneous harbor services for the Pacific Fleet into 1969.