Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mastic

 

A small tree (Pistaria lenticus) of southern Europe.

 

(AN‑46: dp. 1,275; l. 194'6"; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3", 3 20mm.; cl. Ailanthus)

 

Mastic (AN‑46), originally named Ginkgo (YN‑65), was renamed Mastic 17 April 1943; laid down as YN‑65 by Everett Pacific Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Everett, Wash., 27 November 1943; reclassified AN‑46 on 20 January 1944; launched 19 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. A. Fenger; and commissioned at Everett 4 July 1944, Lt. David Weinig in command.

 

After shakedown along the west coast, Mastic steamed via Pearl Harbor to the western Pacific for duty with Commander Minecraft, Pacific Fleet. Beginning late in the year she carried out net laying and tending duties at American bases in the Marianas and the western Carolines. During the later months of fighting in the Pacific she operated primarily out of Ulithi, but in addition served at Guam, Saipan, and Peleliu. Following the Japanese capitulation 15 August, she continued servicing harbor defense installations until 26 October when she sailed from Saipan for the west coast. Steaming via Midway and Pearl Harbor, she reached San Francisco 25 November. Mastic decommissioned at Tiburon, Calif., 1 March 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list 28 March. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 6 June 1947 for simultaneous delivery to her purchaser, William Semar.