A former name retained.
(SP‑397: t. 180 (gr.); l. 174'; b. 18'6"; dr. 9'9"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 51; a. 2 3‑pdrs., 2 mg.)
Mary Alice (SP‑397), a steam yacht built in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1897, was purchased by the Navy from William J. Conners of Buffalo, N.Y., and commissioned 10 August 1917, Lt. (jg.) Grant Campbell, USNRF, in command.
As a unit of the Naval Coast Defense Reserve, Mary Alice operated in the 3d Naval District patrolling Long Island Sound and the approaches to New York Harbor. Early in October, 1918, Mary Alice joined 0‑13 to serve as a patrol boat during the submarine’s precommissioning acceptance trials in Long Island Sound. With Capt. William A. Gill, President of the Board of Inspection and Survey, embarked, Mary Alice cruised off Bridgeport, Conn., as the recently built submarine conducted a submerged circular run 5 October. Suddenly, 0‑13 rammed Mary Alice amidships and holed her. She sank within a few minutes, and 0‑13 rescued her entire crew from the water shortly afterwards.