Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Martin

 

The first Martin, a screw tug, was retained a contraction of its former merchant name, James McMartin. The second Martin (DF‑30) was named for Luther Charles Martin, born 10 December 1903 in Indianapolis, Ind. He enrolled in the U.S. Naval Reserve 15 July 1920 to serve in an enlisted status until 4 November 1937 when he was appointed carpenter. Assigned to Astoria (CA‑34) on 5 November 1937, Carpenter Martin was killed in action on board the heavy cruiser in the South Pacific before she sank during the Battle of Savo Island, 9 August 1942.

 

II

 

(DE‑30: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 3 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.); cl. Evarts)

 

Originally intended for lend lease to Britain, the second Martin (DE‑30) was laid down as BDE‑30 by Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif., 26 November 1942; launched 18 May 1943; redesignated DE‑30, 16 June 1943; renamed Martin 23 June 1943; and commissioned 4 September 1943; Lt. Paul E. Warfield, USNR, in command.

 

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Martin escorted Idaho (BB‑42) to San Diego 29 September to 2 October. After shakedown off San Diego, the escort ship got underway in convoy for Pearl Harbor 11 November, arriving the 21st for service with TF 16. On 3 December, in company with Trathen (DD‑530) and SS Mormacport, she steamed for the Ellice‑Gilbert Islands area, returning to Pearl Harbor the 31st.

 

On 9 January 1944 Martin sailed with TG‑58.4 for escort service during the initial Marshall operations, 11 January into late February. From arrival at Tulagi 18 March until 1 October she operated as a merchant ship escort in the Solomons.

 

During October the ship joined TG 30.8 to escort fueling units during the strikes on Formosa; Luzon, Philippines; and Okinawa, Ryukyus, beginning 10 October. From November to February 1945 she patrolled the western Carolines and Marianas. On 10 December 1944 Martin screened LSTs landing troops and supplies on Leyte for the mopup operations following the landings in October and the ensuing Battle for Leyte Gulf. She operated out of Eniwetok from February 1945 on, escorting convoys to Kwajalein and Guam, Marshalls, and Ulithi, Carolines.

 

On 5 July Martin departed Kwajalein for the west coast, via Pearl Harbor, arriving San Francisco, Calif., 19 July. On 19 November she decommissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard and was struck from the Navy list 5 December. Martin was sold to Wilmington Transportation Co., Wilmington, Calif., 15 May, and delivered 3 June to be scrapped.