A former name retained.
(PYc‑39: dp. 180 (f.); l. 135'; b. 22'8"; dr. 7'3"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 45; a. 1 3")
Marnell (PYc‑39) was built in 1929 byDefoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 13 April 1942 from Marnell Corp., Duluth, Minn.; converted from a yacht by Merrill‑Stevens Drydock Co., Miami, Fla.; and commissioned at Key West 31 July 1942, Lt. (jg.) Griswold J. Hayward in command.
Assigned to the eastern sea frontier, Marnell departed Key West for Charleston, S.C., arriving 24 August; and performed coastal patrol duty in the 6th Naval District until she decommissioned at Charleston 3 December 1943. She recommissioned 22 January 1944 and, upon assignment to the 4th Naval District, left Charleston for Philadelphia 23 February, arriving Philadelphia Navy Yard 31 February. For the next 2 years she operated in an experimental capacity for the Navy’s Bureau of Ships. Marnell decommissioned 21 December 1945; was struck from the Navy list 21 January 1947 as surplus; and delivered to WSA 30 April for scrapping.