A county in northeastern South Carolina.
(APB‑38: dp. 4,080 (lim.); l. 328'0"; b. 50'; dr. 11'2" (lim.); s. 10 k.; cpl. 141; trp. 1226; a. 2 40mm., 8 20mm.; cl. Benewah)
Authorized to be built as APL‑38 on 17 December 1943, Marlboro was redesignated APB‑38 on 8 August 1944; laid down by Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass., 25 August 1944; launched 17 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marjorie Guile; and commissioned 18 August 1945, Lt. Fred C. McPherson, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Marlboro departed Boston 14 September for shakedown in Chesapeake Bay. On 15 October Marlboro got underway front Naval Operating Base, Norfolk, Va., for duty with the Service Force out of New York City. She served as barracks ship along the East Coast to the end of the year.
On 8 January 1946 she steamed for the Caribbean, arriving 5 days later at Guantanamo, Cuba, where she remained until sailing 15 May with marines embarked for the East Coast. Marlboro reached Norfolk the 20th.
Eight days later she moved on to Green Cove Springs, Fla., anchoring 30 May. Assigned to the 16th (inactive) Fleet 1 June, she decommissioned in January 1947 and was berthed on the St. Johns River until struck from the Navy list 1 December 1963 and scrapped.