A merchant name retained.
(T‑AP‑199: dp. 10,210; l. 523'; b. 72'; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; trp. 3,451; a. none; cl. Marine Adder; T.C4‑S‑A3)
Marine Carp (T‑AP‑199) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., 6 December 1944; launched 5 July 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth Nyberg; and delivered to her operator, Matson Navigation Co., 11 October 1945.
Marine Carp departed the west coast 14 November 1945 and steamed to the Philippines to embark Pacific war veterans for return to the United States. She returned to Los Angeles from Manila just before Christmas, thence sailed on a troop‑lift run from the Mediterranean late in January 19,46. Steaming via the Panama Canal, she embarked troops at Naples, Italy, and Le Havre, France, in February and steamed back to the United States arriving New York early in March. After completing another trip to the Mediterranean and back in the spring of 1946, she entered the Maritime Commission Reserve Fleet. Between 1947 and 1952 she was berthed in the Hudson River. Acquired by the Navy 17 March 1952, Marine Carp steamed to Baltimore, Md., 1 April; was placed in service there 15 September 1952; and assigned to duty under MSTS.
Manned by a civil service crew, Marine Carp steamed to New York 16 to 18 September to prepare for transatlantic duty. She departed New York 27 September and made a round trip run to La Pallice, France, and Bremerhaven, Germany, returning to the United States 21 October. Between 28 October and 15 February 1953 she completed three more voyages to European ports and back; thence, she sailed for the Far East 28 May.
Steaming via Puerto Rico and the Panama Canal, Marine Carp reached Sasebo, Japan, 30 June. A week later she embarked homeward bound U.S. troops at Inchon, South Korea, and on 9 July she sailed for the United States. She touched at Hawaii 19 July; transited the Panama Canal; and reached New York 10 August. She went into reduced operational status 4 September.
Marine Carp resumed operations 20 July 1954 and sailed 15 September to carry out supply and replenishment operations in Davis Strait and Baffin Bay. She steamed to Frobisher Bay, Baffin Island, and to Thule, Greenland, thence returned via Norfolk to New York 10 October. Between 15 October and 21 November she carried out a second Arctic run, and on 25 November she returned to reduced operational status.
Departing New York 18 February 1955, Marine Carp resumed transatlantic service to Bremerhaven and back. She returned to New York from her third round trip 6 May and on the 23d sailed for additional duty off Greenland. During the next 2 months she made two runs to Goose Bay, Labrador, and to Thule and Sondrestrom, Greenland; and, after returning to New York 18 July, she resumed reduced operational status until May 1956. From 21 May to 22 July 19,56, she undertook two more support runs to Greenland before returning to reduced status at New York.
Following the gallant but abortive Hungarian Revolution in late October 1956, Marine Carp departed New York 18 December for Bremerhaven where she arrived the 28th to embark Hungarian refugees seeking a new life of freedom in the United States. She returned to New York 16 January 1957; served in reduced status until 20 May; thence sailed the 21st to resume support duty along the Greenland coast. After returning to New York 1 July, she steamed to Orange, Tex., 23 to 30 September and was inactivated 9 October. She transferred permanently to the Maritime Administration 11 September 1958 and entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex. Her name was struck from the Navy list 11 September. Marine Carp was sold 20 July 1967 to Central Gulf Steamship Corp., converted to a general cargo ship and renamed Green Springs.