Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Marigold

 

Any of a genus of herbaceous composite plants with showy yellow or red and yellow flower heads.

 

II

 

(ScStr: dp. 696; l. 160'; b. 27'; dr. 11' (mean); s. 10 k.; cpl. 31.)

 

The second Marigold, a lighthouse tender built at Wyandotte, Wis., in 1891, was transferred to the U.S. Navy with the entire Lighthouse Service by Executive order 11 April 1917. The iron‑hull tender operated on the Great Lakes as a naval vessel until 1 July 1919, when she was returned to the custody of the Commerce Department.