Cities in Ohio and Georgia.
(AN‑82: dp. 775; l. 168'6"; b. 33'10"; dr. 10'10"; sp. 12 k.; cpl. 46; a. 1 3", 4 20mm.; cl. Cohoes.)
Marietta (AN‑82) was laid down by the Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg., 17 February 1945; launched 27 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Theodore C. Lyster, Jr.; and commissioned 22 June 1945, Lt. Richard Haber, USNR, commanding.
Following shakedown, Marietta was briefly ordered to San Francisco where she spent 2 weeks removing the protective nets in that harbor, 14 August to 3 September 1945. She then sailed for Norfolk, via the Panama Canal. Reporting to ComServLant 30 October, she immediately began installing moorings for the growing Inactive Fleet. On 1 February 1946 the netlayer headed for Miami, Fla., and for the next 11 weeks operated with the Hydrographic Office in a series of triangulation surveys of the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas. Marietta next steamed for New Orleans, arriving 25 April, and continuing on to Orange, Tex., 11 May. At Orange she entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and decommissioned 19 March 1947.
Five years later, 14 February 1952, Marietta recommissioned. Assigned to harbor defense in the 3d Naval District, she was based at N.A.S., Brooklyn, N.Y., for almost 8 years. During that time she tended nets, moorings, and buoys in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, with periodic deployment to other ports on the east coast, including Key West, Charleston, Norfolk, and Boston, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
On 21 October 1959, following operations with the Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va., Marietta entered the New York Naval Shipyard for inactivation. She decommissioned 21 December at Bayonne, N.J., and reentered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
Two years later preparations were started for Marietta’s eventual transferral under the terms of the Military Assistance Program. In February 1962 she was put in the custody of the Venezuelan Government, for whom she has operated, with the name Puerto Santo (H‑03), into 1969.