A former name retained.
(ScStr: dp. 7,050 (n) l. 347'7"; b. 46'9"; dr. 17'9"; s. 10 k. cpl. 78; a. 2 4")
Mariana, a cargo steamer built in 1915 by Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va., was chartered by the Navy from New York & Porto Rico Steamship Co., 28 July 1918; and commissioned at Baltimore, Md., the same day, Lt. Comdr. William N. P. Baker, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Mariana loaded more than 3,000 tone of supplies and sailed for Europe 2 August. Steaming via New York where she joined a convoy 5 August, she reached Brest, France, the 20th. She operated out of French ports until 6 September; thence, she returned to Baltimore in convoy the 24th. Once more, she loaded military cargo and steamed to New York to join a European‑bound convoy.
Between 8 and 25 October Mariana sailed via Brest to Nantes, France, where she discharged her cargo. During the next 2 months she made two runs out of French ports to Belfast, Northern Ireland, where she loaded foodstuffs for the AEF. She completed her second run at St. Nazaire, France, 5 January 1919. Subsequently, she loaded cargo and ballast; bunkered at Barry Roads, Wales; and departed for the United States 30 January. She reached New York 18 February. She decommissioned at New York 4 April 1919 and transferred to USSB for return to her owner.