A county in west‑central Alabama named for a village in northwestern Italy where Napoleon defeated the Austrians 14 June 1800.
(AK‑194: dp. 7,450 (lim.); l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1" (lim.); a. 11.5 k; cpl. 85; a. 13", 6 20mm.; cl. Alamosa; T. Cl‑M‑AVl)
Marengo (AK‑194) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilders Inc., Superior, Wis., 4 July 1944; launched 4 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. R. W. Higgins; acquired by the Navy at New Orleans 24 August 1945; placed in service the same day for ferrying from Beaumont to Galveston, Tex.; placed out of service on arrival the 29th; and commissioned 21 September. The end of World War Il reduced the need for cargo ships, so Marengo decommissioned 23 November and was transferred to WSA the same day. The ship was subsequently operated by North Atlantic & Gulf Steamship Co., under the name Coastal Spartan.