(YP‑448: dp. 75; l. 92'; b. 20'10"; d. 10'6")
The second Maratanza was built as SS Virginia in 1941 by Mueller Boat Works, Brooklyn, N.Y.; acquired by the Navy at Fairhaven, Mass., 2 July 1942, on bareboat charter from Schooner Virginia Co., Inc., of New York; converted by Boston Navy Yard; and placed in service as YP‑448, 23 September 1942.
YP‑448 served the Naval Districts of the eastern seaboard as a district patrol craft throughout World War II, operating primarily in the 7th Naval District out of Miami, Mayport, and Key West. Redesignated IX‑200, 15 December 1944, she was named Maratanza 4 days later. During her last year of service, she used special underwater search equipment in assignments under the District Mine Warfare Officer. Placed out of service 7 November 1945, Maratanza berthed at Miami until towed to the 1st Naval District in spring 1946. On 31 July 1947 she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for return to her former owner.