A river in the State of Iowa.
(AOG‑51: dp. 1,841; l. 310'9"; b. 48'6"; dr. 15'8"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 124; a. 4 3"; cl. Patapsco)
Maquoketa (AOG‑51) was laid down 14 January 1944 by Cargill, Inc., Savage, Minn.; launched 12 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Henry E. Benson; and commissioned at New Orleans 27 February. 1945, Lt. Lloyd R. Stahl, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown exercises along the Gulf Coast, Maquoketa took on aviation gas, diesel oil and lube oil at Houston, Tex., and departed for the Pacific 28 March 1945. She arrived in the Marshall Islands 23 May and immediately began discharging her cargo into the waiting ships. For the next 3 months the tanker plied regularly between Majuro, Kwajalein, and Tarawa. At Majuro when hostilities ceased, Maquoketa made one more voyage to Kwajalein and then sailed to Ulithi, arriving 29 August. From the Carolines she steamed on to Okinawa, remaining there for 11⁄2 months before continuing to Japan. She moored at Nagasaki 23 October and commenced supplying ships assigned to the occupied areas. During the remainder of her western Pacific deployment she called at most of the ports in the Japanese home islands and in the American zone of Korea in addition to making regularly scheduled visits to Jinsen, Korea, Sasebo, Yokohama, and Nagoya.
After operating for 14 months in support of the occupation forces, Maquoketa steamed from Yokosuka 11 November 1946 for the United States, anchoring in San Francisco Bay 4 December. She decommissioned at Mare Island 21 February 1947 and was transferred to the Maritime Commission 18 June. The next year, because of her speed and military characteristics, she was reacquired by the Navy and placed in the Pacific Reserve Fleet 23 August 1948. Reactivated, she was assigned to MSTS 1 March 1952, and operated under contract with a civilian crew until 18 May 1954, when she was again placed in reserve. From that date until spring 1956 she was berthed in Florida with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. A second tour of civilian operated service with MSTS began 24 April 1956 and continued until 16 October 1956, when she was delivered to the Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, Calif. She remained in custodial status there until activated a third time in 1957. Maquoketa then underwent another tour with MSTS in the Pacific, from 30 April through 9 October 1957. On the latter date, she once more deactivated and was placed in the custody of the Maritime Administration. On 12 March 1958, she was formally transferred to the National Defense Reserve Fleet and struck from the Navy list. Into 1969 she remains berthed at Suisun Bay.