The first Manistee (YT-173) was named for an Indian word meaning island in the river; the second Manistee (YTB-782) was named for a city in Michigan.
(Harbor Tug No. 5: displacement 225; length 92'6"; beam 21'; draft 8'9" (mean); speed 12 knots)
Manistee (YT 173), built as tug Carrie T. Meseck by H.A. Marvel & Co. for Meseck Towing & Transpotation, Inc., of New York, N.Y., in 1941; was purchased for $285,000 by the Navy and renamed on 29 May 1941; converted at the New York Navy Yard, New York; and placed in service on 8 August 1941.
Manistee performed tug duties in New York Harbor throughout World War II, helping to ensure the efficient flow of men and materiel in and out of that congested port to the war fronts in Europe and Africa.
The Navy redesignated Manistee YTB 173 on 15 May 1944. The tug continued to serve the 3d Naval District for a year following the end of the war. She was placed out of service at New York on 30 August 1946, and stricken from the Naval Register on 13 December 1946. Declared surplus, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal, on 26 February 1947. The Maritime Commission subsequently sold Manistee to her former owner, and she resumed service in New York Harbor as Carrie T. Meseck.