Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Manila

 

A city on Luzon, the capital of the Philippine Islands, the nation’s busiest port and most important industrial and commercial center, called “The Pearl of the Orient.”

 

(Sch: dp. 1,750; l. 226'9"; b. 31'2"; dr. 13'; a. 10 k.; cpl. 102; a. 2 4", 4 27mm., 2 6‑pdr., 2 25mm.)

 

Manila, a small, unarmed convoying ship, was built at Leith, Scotland, in 1881; launched in 1883 to be used by the Spanish as a transport; ran aground at Bakor Bay, Philippine Islands, 4 May 1898; was abandoned by the Spanish, spared, and taken over by the U.S. Navy; and commissioned 29 July 1898, Lt. Comdr. Frederick Singer in command.

 

After commissioning, Manila was assigned to the Asiatic Squadron, patrolling, carrying troops, and cruising Asiatic waters during the Philippine Insurrection 1899‑1900. She took part in the bombardment of San Fabian 7 to 9 November 1899 and the taking of Zamboanga the 16th. She supported the expedition of 2,500 troops up Lingayin Gulf later in the month.

 

Manila continued to serve in the Philippines until sailing to the United States, where she decommissioned at Mare Island, Calif., 1 July 1903. After 1907 she was used as a prison ship at Mare Island, remaining there until 1913. She was struck from the Navy list and sold 7 May 1913.