Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mango

 

The evergreen tree of the sumac family that bears a yellowish‑red tropical fruit with a firm skin, hard central stone, and juicy pulp.

 

(YN‑19: dp. 700 (lt.); l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8" (lim.); s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3", 4 20mm.; cl. Ash)

 

Mango (YN‑19) was laid down 18 October 1940 by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio; launched 22 February 1941; and placed in service 18 September 1941, Lt. H. W. Gaidsick in charge, for passage down the St. Lawrence River to the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, N.H., where she was fitted out. She arrived off Casco Bay, Portland, Maine, in December to start a year of net‑laying and acting as gate vessel. Mango commissioned 15 December 1942.

 

Mango moved to Boston in January 1943. Two months later she steamed for Argentia, Newfoundland, where she continued to serve as gate vessel until 18 August when she returned to the east coast, via Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia, arriving Boston 29 August.

 

By the end of October Mango was underway for Coco Solo, C.Z., to spend 1944 tending nets off the Atlantic coast of Panama. She was reclassified AN‑24 on 20 January 1944.

 

Mango sailed from Mount Hope, C.Z., for the Pacific War Zone late in February 1945. For the next 4 months she alternated escort service with net replacement duties in the triangle of the Admiralties, the Philippines, and New Guinea.

 

The ship departed Samar, Philippines, for Borneo in the middle of June, arriving 24 June to begin marking out the beachhead landing assault path to Balikpapan. Following D‑Day, 1 July, she laid out the channel to the harbor.

 

On 15 July Mango steamed for Samar and was in overhaul when hostilities ceased 15 August. Assigned the removal of the net defenses, she began at Samar 10 September and continued on to Manus, arriving 15 October, to resume operations in the Admiralties until the end of 1945. The net‑laying ship returned to the Philippines to serve off Leyte from 15 January 1946 until the middle of September. Her net removing tasks took her to Guam, Marianas, and to Eniwetok and Kwajalein in the Marshalls before she arrived Pearl Harbor 15 November.

 

Mango shortly departed Pearl Harbor for the west coast, arriving Astoria, Oreg., 27 January 1947. She decommissioned 4 April 1947 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Columbia River, Oreg. On 1 September 1962 Mango was struck from the Navy list; delivered to the Maritime Commission the same day; and berthed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains into 1969.

 

Mango received one battle star for World War II service.